Sunday, May 31, 2015

White and Gold along the Canal...




I finally got off to my first bike ride along the canal... Here I enjoyed the flowers, grasses and trees that all seemed to be enjoying the (long-awaited) sun...


It was the white and yellow that caught my eye this time... and gold!


Although there was the bright red of the poppies, pink from campion and purple from vetch - along with all that green...


Sadly, I can't remember many of the names of flowers and plants any more, or seem to have replaced the English word for a French one, but I did recognize the above as white bladder campion...


And these as oxe-eye daisies, however, after that things started to get more blurred... I initially thought these below were plain white campion, but I'm not so sure of that now...


Meanwhile elderberry flowers were everywhere - like huge luminous discs at a distance...


And yet so intricate up close...


Although I made my usual 'error' of looking too closely at the details and missing the bigger landscape, it did pay off as I came across these wild strawberries... Which I then went on to eat!


 I had no trouble identifying the mustard flowers that had scented the air along the tracks...


And alongside the canal itself...


The water had its 'usual' unusual green/blue colour...


This always reminds me of the water-filled quarries we used to be drawn to as children... And reminds me again that the canal is here for a purpose...


Vital for the transportation of goods, past and present...


Today, as always, the waterway acts as bait to the fishermen but its paths also provide jogging and sport addicts with the means of a convenient fix, and offers escape to the Sunday strollers, skaters and cylists of all shapes and sizes...


But also provides a dose a nature...


Which I always like looking at - up close - and wondering how such simple things can be so beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your ideas...